- This event has passed.
Family-to-Family Education Course
October 12 @ 6:00 PM - 8:30 PMFree
This course is already in progress.
Family-to-Family is a designated evidence-based program from the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). NAMI is the largest grassroots mental health organization in the United States. The course is licensed and adapted for use in British Columbia.
You will learn:
- Different aspects of mental illness, including up-to-date information on mental illnesses and how they affect the brain
- Current treatments and therapies
- How to navigate the mental health system in B.C.
- Communication and problem-solving skills
- Compassion-centered approaches for supporting a loved one with a mental health condition
- Ways to handle a crisis
- Advocating for care for your ill loved one
- Managing negative feelings and self-care strategies
Based on the trauma model of education, the course utilizes a unique combination of healing, consciousness-raising and empowerment to address the long-neglected needs of those caring for a loved one with a serious mental illness.
- Starting October 12, 2022, Wednesdays at 6 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Led by trained Family Peer Volunteers, who have lived/living experience of caring for a loved one with a serious mental illness
- One 2.5 hr session/week
- Online via Zoom
- 8-week course
Who can attend
Families, significant others, or friends of a loved one with a serious mental illness.
If you are experiencing crisis, we highly recommend using our one-on-one peer support services and contacting our Support Coordinator, Valeska Gauthier. We also recommend attending one of our support groups.
In our experience, families gain a lot more from the course if they are in a place of relative stability while taking it.